Radio Frequency Interference (RFI) and Electro-Magnetic Interference (EMI) shielding is a key design consideration for electronics engineers. Further regulation, miniaturisation, and mobile connectivity have increased demands on both the complexity and importance of effective screening.
To assist electronics engineers with EMC compliance, Tecan has developed a suite of cost-effective RFI/EMI shielding solutions, which draw upon its 50-year precision etching experience. Etching is a subtractive process, based around photolithography and acid etching, which is ideal for manufacturing precision metal parts in prototype through to high volume quantities. It has a number of advantages over alternative methods for manufacturing RFI/EMI shielding products, including:
• Low cost, film-based tooling, unaffected by design complexity and easily modified
• Burr and stress-free finished product, preventing corrosion and ensuring good flat contact with track surface
• Part-etch bend lines, negating the need for ‘hard’ form tools
• Choice of metals – including non-ferrous metals required for hi-frequency applications
• Plating finishes are applied when all profiling is completed, so all ‘machined’ edges of the profile are fully protected and prepared for efficient soldering